Matcha Monday | Honey Caramel Matcha Popcorn
Caramel corn is so addicting, but adding matcha and honey as well... It doesn't get any better than this. All caramel corn really is, is butter and sugar, so when you think about all of those yummy ingredients together, you're talking about the party of all parties in your mouth. Thanks to my husband for suggesting I put matcha into my caramel - I couldn't put down the container without finishing every last piece. Here's to changing caramel corn forever! Read on for the recipe.
Honey Caramel Matcha Popcorn
Author: Stina Abion | Hello Lovely Living
Published November 9, 2015
Servings: 8 - 2 cup servings
Prep: 0 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 2/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- For popcorn: Pop kernals in two batches. In a large 4-quart heavy-bottomed pot with lid on, heat 1 Tbsp of oil on medium heat and add 1/3 cup of kernals. Gently shake pot to distribute heat and oil on kernals and leave lid slightly adjar to allow steam to escape. Once it begins to pop, watch carefully and shake pot occasionally. Remove from heat as soon as you notice popping stops at 2 to 3 seconds apart. Repeat steps for second batch. Pour popcorn onto a 17.25" x 11.5" baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- For caramel: On medium high heat, melt butter, brown sugar, honey, matcha powder, and salt in a large saucepan and heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and allow to boil for 3 minutes without stirring. It will start to bubble, so watch it carefully.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda. Stir to combine. The mixture will get even more bubbly.
- Pour caramel over popcorn and gently mix to coat. Place in a 250° heated oven at 5 minute intervals and mix to evenly coat each time. When all kernels appear evenly coated, you may remove from the oven. Allow to cool before storing.
- For more matcha flavor, just add more matcha powder.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Homemade popcorn is just way more fun and even way more delicious. This is perfect for the holidays because of that rich, green color that the matcha powder creates. Just package in pretty little gift bags or containers and you have a simple DIY gift that anyone will love. I hope you try this out!
Look out for more matcha recipes coming soon.
What is your favorite popcorn flavor? Share with me in the comments!