Royal Milk Tea with Boba
So, I've been on this royal milk tea binge lately and I found myself asking my hubby to take me to get some almost every day - that and pho. There's a time to get addicted to pho, and my time is NOW. Thankfully, that has died down, but my milk tea cravings continue. I decided: Why not just make that extra effort and make royal milk tea at home? It can't be that hard, right? I mean, isn't it just a ton of sugar, milk, and tea? Come to find out, it is. I'm sure the boba shop ones have some syruppy thing in it, but homemade is always better - less chemicals and mystery ingredients.
Now, if you try my recipe, you will discover how extremely simple and easy it is to make this yourself, and then you'll kick yourself in the butt for all of those times you paid $3-6 for 8 oz of milk tea, only to find out it was mostly ice. Plus, your tummy won't spontaneously freak out on you and react to whatever dairy they used (true story). All of the ingredients are simple enough to find at any grocery store, and the boba pearls can be found at asian markets or online. Don't forget your wide straws too! That's the best part.
So, does it taste like the real thing? It's not as sweet, but that's how you know you're not killing yourself with every sip - you can control the amount of sugar you put in. I find it a pretty good substitute, and saving money is always my favorite thing to do, especially when it comes to eating out.
Let me show you just how simple this recipe is!
Royal Milk Tea with Boba
Author: Stina Abion
Published August 11, 2015
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls "boba"
- 2 cups water
- 2 organic black tea (2g bags x 2)
- 1 cup organic milk
- 5 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- boba straws
- First cook boba by placing 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and bringing to a rapid boil. I purchased the boba that cooks in 5 minutes. Boil for 5 minutes or until soft and remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, boil 1 cup of water. Once it comes to a rolling boil, place tea bags in and let boil for 4 minutes. Remove tea bags, then add milk and sugar. Once it starts to simmer, remove from heat.
- Prepare a cup of ice and pour the milk tea over to rapidly cool. In another cup, add boba and fill halfway with ice, then pour the chilled milked tea over. Do this twice since you will have two servings. Share with someone special and enjoy!
- The ice will water the milk tea down, so that is why I increased the sugar. You can always cool it completely first and add less sugar.
- Try using other teas like Assam Black Tea.
I hope you get to try my recipe! Again, I used 5 minute boba to make it quicker to prepare. There's no difference in taste either - and just as addicting as the real stuff. Let's be addicted together! <3
Are you addicted to milk tea too? Share with me in the comments what your favorite flavors are.